Benefits of Learning a Foreign Language
In this age of globalisation where borders and boundaries are disappearing and where academic and workplace opportunities are not confined to any geographical boundaries, it becomes imperative for people to be multi-lingual. Multilingualism is a social reality in India. Oral and literacy skills in multiple languages are necessary for meaningful participation in the larger society.
Kids, leaders of tomorrow, should be equipped to communicate fluently in any international language. Learning a foreign language can have numerous benefits for individuals of all ages. Here are some of the most significant benefits:
- Improved cognitive function: Learning a foreign language can improve cognitive function, including memory, problem-solving skills, and critical thinking abilities.
- Increased cultural awareness: Learning a foreign language can provide insight into other cultures and ways of life, leading to increased cultural awareness and empathy. It also helps children having prejudices against others
- Better job prospects: Knowing a second language can make individuals more competitive in the job market, particularly for roles that require interaction with people from other countries.
- Enhanced travel experiences: Knowing the local language can greatly enhance travel experiences, allowing individuals to communicate more effectively with locals and better understand the local culture.
- Improved communication skills: Learning a foreign language can improve communication skills in both the target language and the individual’s native language. It enhance kids vocabulary
- Better academic performance: Research has shown that individuals who learn a foreign language have better academic performance, particularly in areas such as reading, writing, and problem-solving.
- Delayed onset of dementia: Learning a foreign language has been shown to delay the onset of dementia and other cognitive impairments in older adults.
Overall, learning a foreign language can provide numerous benefits, both personal and professional. It can enhance cognitive function, cultural awareness, job prospects, travel experiences, communication skills, academic performance, and even brain health.
As parents, you must be thinking which foreign languages are in demand and the reasons.
We have enlisted few foreign languages for your kid:
- Mandarin Chinese: Mandarin Chinese is the most spoken language in the world, and it is becoming increasingly important in the business world, particularly in industries such as finance, manufacturing, and technology.
- Spanish: Spanish is one of the most widely spoken languages in the world and is in high demand in many industries, particularly in healthcare, education, and hospitality.
- Arabic: Arabic is the fifth most spoken language in the world and is in demand in fields such as international business, diplomacy, and intelligence.
- German: German is the most spoken language in the European Union and is in high demand in industries such as engineering, science, and technology.
- French: French is widely spoken around the world and is in demand in fields such as international business, law, and diplomacy.
- Japanese: Japanese is in demand in industries such as technology, automotive, and finance.
- Portuguese: Portuguese is in demand in fields such as international business, tourism, and hospitality.
Learn more about opportunities & languages available to CMIS students at different grades by visiting our language studies page.